Making an Employer Payment


How should employers handle payments for furloughed employees or those with reduced hours? 

  • Continue to withhold income using normal procedures. For furloughed employees, please hold their income withholding order (IWO) until they return to work. 


Any time an income withholding order (IWO) is issued, child support and maintenance payments are processed through Colorado’s Family Support Registry (FSR). The FSR processes payments for cases applied for at local county child support offices and orders that are not enforced by counties.

An “order not enforced by a county” (Non IV-D) account is used when:

  • A Colorado court has ordered the paying parent to pay child support payments through the FSR
  • Neither parent has applied for help with child support collection or enforcement at a local county child support office
  • The person receiving payments is not on public assistance

Payment Options

There are several options for employers to submit child support payments on behalf of employees with support obligations. Please provide the following with each payment:

  • Payment Amount (for each FSR Account Number*)
  • FSR Account Number*
  • Employee name

 *The FSR Account Number is also referred to as the Remittance Identifier. It is located on the first page of the IWO.

Mail-In Checks

When mailing a payment:

  • Make checks payable to the Family Support Registry
  • Provide the employee’s name, FSR account number and amount to apply to the account. You may send a single check for multiple accounts.

Mail payments to:
Family Support Registry
P.O. Box 2171
Denver, CO 80201-2171

  • Checks and money orders are deposited the day they are received
  • Payment coupons are available for employers that have 10 or fewer active IWOs. For more information about coupons, please contact FSR Employer Customer Service.

Online Payments - Automated Clearing House (ACH) Debit

This feature allows employers to make one-time or recurring payments from their checking or savings account. The FSR will initiate an ACH debit to withdraw the payment for the amount designated by the employer on a specified date. This does require an additional registration and login process on our payment website. *Please verify with your bank in advance to make sure your account can be debited. A vendor authorization code can be provided if needed. The employer is responsible for managing their online payment account. If a payment is made in error the FSR may not be able to return the money to the employer.

Electronic Payment File - Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT)

This feature allows employers to reconcile employee information to submit payments electronically via the ACH network. The employer will transmit a payment file using the CCD+ or CTX 820 file format to their bank. The bank then sends the payment file to the FSR for processing. This function requires an additional registration and login process on our payment website. *We are unable to accept Prearranged Payment and Deposits (PPD) file formats.

Credit/Debit Card Payments

Please note:  We have changed credit card vendors.   Value Payment Systems (VPS) is no longer handling credit and debit card payments.

A service fee will be charged based on the payment amount.  To make a credit or debit card payment you will need the following information:

  • Employee’s (obligor's) name
  • Employee’s (obligor's) FSR Account Number/Remittance ID
  • Employer FEIN

Missing / Lost Payments

If you believe a payment is missing or lost, please contact the FSR Employer Customer Service with the following information:

  • Payment check number
  • Payment check amount
  • Date check cleared employer’s bank
  • Employee(s) name(s)
  • Employee(s) identifying information such as FSR account number or Social Security number

The FSR will then research to see if the payment has been received. If it is determined that the payment has not been received, you can choose to do a stop payment.

FSR Employer Customer Service can also assist employers in updating their information, obtaining past due balances for lump sum payments and answering question about the income withholding process.