Frequently Asked Questions

Child Support Services Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.


If my local county child support office is closed and not accepting in-person payments, how can I pay my child support?

I have been laid off or furloughed by my employer. How can I request that my monthly child support amount be reviewed for possible modification?

  • It is important that you contact your local county child support office to discuss this request. Counties have been provided guidance to accept requests from parents for review and adjustment of their child support order via email. Conferences with parents can be conducted virtually (phone, email, Skype, etc.). 

Stimulus Payment FAQs – IRS “Injured Spouse” 

Recently the IRS announced it will be mailing reimbursement checks to those who filed joint income tax returns for 2019 who had their stimulus payments intercepted to pay back child support owed by their spouse. Normally these joint filers must file an “injured spouse” claim with the IRS to receive their portion of these funds, but now payments will be sent whether or not a claim has been filed.  Please see below for changes to the process caused by this decision that may affect you.

How do I know if I might get one of these payments?

  • If you received a letter from the IRS notifying you that funds were held to pay back child support owed by your spouse, you may be receiving one of these checks.

Is the IRS currently processing Injured Spouse claims?

  • Yes.  If you have already filed an Injured Spouse claim, there is no action to take.

Who will receive payments from the IRS?

  • ALL joint filers who have not received their portion of the Economic Impact Stimulus Payments, regardless of whether or not they have filed an Injured Spouse claim.  Payments are planned to begin in October.

Do those applying for Injured Spouse claims still need to submit Form 8379?

  • No. If you have not submitted a Form 8379, the IRS will still automatically issue your portion of the stimulus payment. Do NOT file Form 8379.

If Colorado Child Support Services is currently holding a joint tax refund payment, how long can it be held back?

  • By law, it may be held up to six months after the collection is received. Due to COVID-19, this time frame will be extended until after March 31, 2021.

What if I WANT my payment to help pay off my spouse’s case?

  • This is easy – once you receive your IRS check, simply make a payment on the Colorado Child Support Services website and it will be applied to your spouse’s case.


Website Login Troubleshooting

I can’t set up my account, even though I entered all of the required information. What’s wrong?

  • You may already have a Paying Parent/Person Receiving Payments Account. Please try to recover your old web account information.
  • The Colorado Child Support Services Program may not have all of the personal information required for registration.
    • Social Security Number - This number may not be in our system or may be incorrect.
    • Name - We may not have your correct name on file due to a name change. Possible solutions may be to remove a hyphen and/or an apostrophe in your name. Do not enter your nickname. Enter the name exactly as it appears on your case.
    • Family Support Registry Account Number - Only enter the first eight digits, including leading zeros. If you have a 10 digit number, you do not need to enter the last two digits.   

Contact by email so that we can look into why you are not able to create an account. Include all the information requested on the registration form in your email.

Can I change my User ID or Password?

  • Yes. Once you login to your account, you may change your password or User ID using the "Change Profile" option on the left side of the page.

I cannot log in to my account. Do I need to register again?

The font size is too small or too large making the website difficult to read.  

  • Sometimes browser settings can affect how the website pages look. Try to adjust the font size on your browser to make the characters larger or smaller. The website works best with Google Chrome or Internet Explorer, but other browsers should display the text clearly.

I cannot find the answer to my question.