[Skip to Content]
Website Registration
Parents | Employers

Online Services:
Apply for Services
[Body of Page]

Starting a Case

A Family working togetherApplying for services to establish paternity, a child support order, or to enforce an existing child support order, please do the following:

1. Contact the county Child Support Enforcement (CSE) unit nearest you for requirements to start a case. To find the CSE office nearest you, locate the Find our Offices box to the right of this page. Enter the county or city name where you live.

2. The CSE offices require an application to start a case. Please select Application for Child Support Services to obtain a current form. Complete the form and follow the instructions provided by the CSS office or by the website after answering the questions and printing the form.

There will be a one-time $20 application fee. If you receive public assistance you will be automatically referred to a CSE office and will not be required to pay an application fee. Some counties may waive the application fee if you are receiving certain forms of public assistance or for financial hardship, please contact your county for more details.

3. If you live in another state, contact the nearest CSE office in that state and complete their application. The other state will establish and enforce an order there or if they need to involve a Colorado CSE office they will notify us directly.

Annual $25.00 Service Fee

Beginning October 1, 2007, new federal and state laws require all states to collect an annual $25 fee for cases that meet the following conditions:

  1. The custodial party has never received cash public assistance (AFDC or TANF) from Colorado or any other state. TANF or AFDC cash assistance does NOT include Food Stamps, WIC, child care, Medicaid, and/or Kid Care;
  2. The custodial party has received at least $500 in child support payments during the current federal year. The federal year starts on October 1 and continues until September 30 of the following calendar year.

If you have ever received TANF or AFDC cash assistance from Colorado or any other state, please contact the State Office of Child Support.