[Skip to Content]
Website Registration
Parents | Employers

Online Services:
Apply for Services
[Body of Page]

Genetic Testing

What can an unmarried father so to establish when the mother of the child does not want to establish paternity and the father's name is not on the birth certificate?
An unmarried father can initiate an action to establish paternity. He can go through a private attorney to file the action, go through the county Child Support Enforcement Unit, or start the action on his own through the courts. The mother can be ordered by the court to have the genetic tests to establish paternity.

Where can I get genetic testing?
Parents may contact a laboratory directly and arrange to have tests completed at the laboratory or they may contact the county Child Support Enforcement Unit where they live to start a paternity establishment action.

How can I know for sure that this baby is mine?
Genetic tests can determine probability of paternity up to 99.9% or rule out the man as the father of the child. If the mother or possible father of the child has any doubts about who the biological father is they are encouraged to obtain genetic testing by contacting a genetic laboratory or by contacting their county Child Support Enforcement Unit.

A baby is born to unmarried parents, but the alleged father is deceased. Is there a way to have the genetic testing done to determine paternity?
Yes. One of the ways to determine paternity is to use genetic samples from the alleged father's parents. If the alleged father's biological parents are available and willing to go through the testing, it can be determined it the alleged father is the father of the baby.

Return to FAQ Menu